Monday, May 25, 2015

France - Dessert - Chocolate Macarons


Macarons are my obsession. My friends constantly send me pictures if they ever see something macaron related in a store (and tease me about my emphasizing the difference between macarons and macaroons, which are a completely different, traditional Jewish pastry). My family has caught onto it too and since then I have received macaron pajamas, macaron baking kits, macaron phone cases and pretty much anything else you can think of. I don't know where this obsession came from. I can't even remember the first time I had a macaron. When I went to Paris, I had only a couple minutes on the Champs-Elysées to shop, so I dragged my friend to Ladurée. Unfortunately, we couldn't get in in time and we had to turn around. I was morbidly upset, but luckily got to spend the rest of my euros at the Ladurée in the Paris airport. I bought a box of 16, and it was the best decision ever. They were gone in a couple days. I was in heaven. I have tried making macarons before sophomore year, but they didn't turn out all too well. Here is my attempt to make them again, of course chocolate using this recipe. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
Chocolate macaron shell
  • 5 ounces egg whites
  • 2.1 ounces granulated sugar
  • 5 ounces blanched almond meal (no almond skins), aka almond flour (I prefer Bob's Redmill)
  • 10 ounces confectioners sugar
  • 0.3 ounces Dutch processed cocoa powder
Ganache filling
  • 4 ounces heavy cream
  • 4 ounces good chocolate: discs, chips, or bars chopped into small pieces
  • 1 ounce of honey
  • pinch of salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325˚F.

2. Portion the egg white & sugar into the bowl fitted for your stand mixer. Give the mixture a quick stir with the whip attachment. Whip egg white mixture at a medium speed in your stand mixer.

3. While the mixer is whipping away, blend the almond meal, powdered sugar and cocoa in a clean dry food processor until just fully combined, about 30 seconds.




4. When the egg white meringue has reached medium peaks (the elf hat stage - do not overwhip!) dump all the meringue out into a big clean mixing bowl. In three stages, pour one third of the dry mixture into the meringue and fold until 90% incorporated. After the last third of the dry mix is incorporated, continue to fold until the 'dark ribbon stage' appears and the looseness of the batter increases slightly.





5. Line a nice dry, flat sheet tray with a fresh piece of parchment. With a round piping tip, pipe the macarons in line into about one to two inch even circles, depending on how big you want your macarons. Remember not to 'drown your tip' and to pull away from each macaron using the 'doggie tail wag' motion. Bang the macarons on the counter a few times to get any air bubbles out, then rest them in a non­ drafty place for 30 minutes until they are tacky on the outside.


6. This is a good time to make the ganache filling for the macarons. Scald the cream, pour over the combined chocolate, syrup and salt. Stir until completely combined. The mixture should be smooth and glossy, and slightly thick.





7. Bake macarons for about 10 minutes. A sign of a good macaron is the 'feet,' which are the rough edge / platforms (see picture). Wait until the macarons have cooled completely before attempting to peel them from the parchment.





8. Once the macarons are cooled, and the ganache has set to a spreadable consistency, spread ganache onto half of the macaron shells. Use the other half of the cookies, matching them to pieces of about the same size, to complete the macaron ­ganache sandwiches. Drizzle the macarons with extra melted chocolate if desired or dust lightly with cocoa powder.



9. Macarons are always best the second day when 'matured' overnight in an airtight container in a refrigerator. They freeze really well in airtight containers as well. Always serve macarons at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment