Friday, May 22, 2015

India - Dinner - Chicken Tikka Masala


A few days ago, my friends and I went to this amazing Indian café in Wellesley. We got the lunch buffet and the dish that I enjoyed most was the chicken tikka masala. I had never had it before, and was already planning to make it for my senior project. I loved it so much, especially when I dipped their naan in the sauce. I had it over white rice and was full for the rest of the day. Here is a healthier version of chicken tikka masala that I found. The recipe includes veggies, and I incorporated whole wheat rice (even though I like white better oops).



Ingredients:

1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Salt and Pepper to Taste
½ Tablespoon Olive Oil
½ Onion- Diced
4 Cloves Garlic- Chopped
2 teaspoons Curry
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
2½ Tablespoons Garam Masala
1 teaspoon Tumeric
1 teaspoon Ground Pepper Powder (More or less depending on your taste)
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Coriander
1 Can Coconut Milk
½ Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Cup Pureed Tomatoes (Canned)
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
½ Cup Beer
12 Oz Bag California Blend- Fresh or Frozen (Pre-Chopped Broccoli, Carrots, and Cauliflower)
Cooked Rice

Directions:

1. Preheat a large skillet, with a lid, over medium heat and add olive oil to pan. Cut the chicken into large bite size pieces and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the pan and sear each side, about 1 minute.


2. In a bowl, combine all of the dry spices. In another bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, Greek yogurt, pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, and beer.


3. Once the chicken is seared, add and stir in the seasoning to fully coat each piece. Add the liquid mixture and stir.



4. Simmer covered over medium low heat, stirring regularly, for 25-30 minutes or until the sauce is thick and the chicken is fully cooked. Add the veggies in the last 15 minutes of cooking.


5. Serve over warm rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment