Monday, May 4, 2015

Japan - Dinner - Sushi


When I was in third grade in Connecticut, we did a project on Japan, and my mom came in and made sushi for our whole class. I don't think I had any then because I immediately wrote off sushi as disgusting since it was made out of seaweed, but I really should have had it. I had sushi for the first time in the fall, and I fell in love and now crave it weekly. Homemade sushi, I think, can be so much better than restaurant made, and it's a lot cheaper. We made about eight rolls with all our ingredients, which added up to maybe $40. At a restaurant like Takara, eight rolls could cost you $80! Here is how I made my sushi. I didn't follow a recipe, so I will try and explain how to make it the best that I can!



Ingredients:
Nori paper
Sushi rice (go to H-Mart for this, it's $6 cheaper!)
Shrimp
Crab meat sticks
Cucumber
Shallots
Smoked salmon
Cream cheese
Avocado
Soy sauce
Wasabi

Directions:

1. Prepare sushi rice as packet's directions instruct. Be sure to let it cool for about 10 minutes before you make your sushi. In the meantime, prepare your filling.



2. Lay out bamboo mat then lay nori sheet on top. Cover 1/2 - 2/3 of paper with rice (I used a bit too much rice the first time around, you want to save it so you can make as many rolls as possible!), using plastic wrap over your hands to spread it out evenly.



3. Layer desired filling over half of the rice then roll up into a sushi roll. Put water on the uncovered edge of the nori paper so it sticks together.






4. Cut into six pieces, plate and enjoy! I love to dip my sushi in soy sauce, and my parents add wasabi (be careful, H-Mart wasabi is so much stronger than the kind you get at a restaurant). Repeat steps 2 and 3 for your other rolls (I took photos of my ingredients combos below).





5. If you want to make an inside out roll, put plastic wrap on the bamboo mat, cover with rice, then layer the nori paper on top, place ingredients on the end and roll. The rice is very sticky, so don't worry about it falling off, but be sure to use the plastic wrap to plate so it doesn't stick to your fingers!







No comments:

Post a Comment