Monday, May 4, 2015

India - Dessert - Strawberry Kulfi with Chocolate Shell


Before researching for this senior project, I didn't even know what kulfi was. Honestly, I had never really had much Indian food at all, but anything with the word ice cream in it sounded good to me. I wasn't sure how this recipe would turn out, but I'm so happy with it. Traditional kulfi calls for cardamom pods and pistachio, but because my dad is allergic to nuts and I couldn't find any cardamom pods and don't have a mortar and pestle to crush them, I omitted them from the recipe I followed. I chose a strawberry recipe because my favorite flavor, chocolate, goes perfectly with it. I made this healthier, self hardening chocolate shell I've made countless times before to harden on top of the kulfi, and it worked perfectly and tasted delicious. Here is my recipe!

Ingredients:
Kulfi
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz)
1 can condensed milk (14 oz)
½ cup heavy cream
1.5 cups fresh strawberry puree (from around 30-35 big strawberries)
3 tablespoons granulated white sugar (optional, only if strawberries aren't sweet enough)
¾ teaspoon strawberry extract
Chocolate sauce
½ cup coconut oil
1/3 cup cocoa
2 Tbs maple syrup

Directions:
1. Empty a 12 oz can of evaporated milk in a large bowl. Microwave it for a minute and then add to it a 14 oz can of condensed milk. Mix well.


3. Next add heavy cream and mix till everything is well combined. Set aside.

4. Take strawberries and remove their stalk. Pulse in a blender or food processor to a smooth puree.




4. Strain the mixture into a small bowl (I used a colander and pushed the puree through with a wooden spoon).



5. Mix the strained strawberry puree and strawberry extract with the milk mixture.



6. Pour the mixture into bowls, cover with aluminum foil and freeze for at least 6 hours.


7. Microwave chocolate sauce ingredients together and then mix until smooth. Pour over kulfi and then freeze for about 10-15 minutes or until chocolate shell is hard.




8. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment